Friday, December 30, 2011

Boots out of closet once again

Well, faithful reader, here I go again. Seems like it's been way too long, so I'm off to the land of Montezuma, hoping to avoid revenge. As I watch the plane taxi up to the walkway, my tummy squirms with excitement. In a few hours, I'll be some place warm, looking forward to a few days of sun, sand, sleep and... lots of photography.
Walking through the airport, standing in line at check-in and through the security line, I noticed so many people who looked at me strangely. At first I thought it was because I had something green stuck in my teeth, but no, it was because I was the only person in line who was both female, and alone. What is up with that? Not the travelling alone thing, but the staring. It begs the question, what is it that people imagine about a middle-aged woman travelling alone?
Spinster? Bitch? How come she's alone? It happens in the movies all the time, but seriously, looking around here at the waiting area by the gate and everyone is part of a couple or group - family, friends, whatever. Good. That means that no one will interrupt my sleep on the sand.
There are distinct advantages to travelling by yourself. Besides the obvious, getting to go wherever you want, whenever you feel like it, or not doing anything at all, there is the advantage of, "oh, if you're by yourself then you can go ahead in front of me", or "i can take just one more person in this line, please step this way". It remains to be seen what kind of advantages one will find at a resort! Can't wait. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.