Sunday, January 1, 2012

Just chillin'

Nice lazy day. Slept in, till almost 8 a.m.!!! Took my time getting out of bed, going for lunch etc. Didn't really get to the beach till about 1-ish. Really windy today, and a few clouds, but nonetheless, the tan lines are getting a bit more distinct.
A few more first impressions and lessons learned. Reasons not to arrive in the evening:
1 - You can't see anything on the way to the resort - its too dark.
2 - it seriously cuts into the partying time
3 - All the kids on the plane/bus/train whatever, are by this time hungry, overtired, grumpy, fussy and the parents are too, so there's absolutely no peace till the kids simply pass out from exhaustion after screaming for several hours. Why don't I remember my daughter being like that? Oh yeah, because she was good when we travelled.
Surprised to see a 7-11 store just outside the airport. Love the way all the palm trees have Christmas lights strung around their trunks. Why is it so hard to find real Mexican food at a resort in Mexico?
Sunday Jan. 1. Not much to report in the way of "Ooh this is so amazing"-ness. Pretty much enjoyed the sunshine and the fact that I'm finally in vacation mode. Wandered around a bit more and got better oriented, navigationally challenged as I am. Although I still haven't found the gym/spa/sports center, it seems a moot point since one needs to walk a couple of kilometers just to get to the restaurants and back, or be completely lazy and wait for the shuttle. Which cuts into beach time, so that's not happening. So, still no pics to share, too busy working on my tan and a few mojitos.
Whilst reposing on the playa (beach) this afternoon, I was entertained by watching my fellow guests, and wondering which Walmart they shop at. One couple in particular stuck out for their, uhhh, individual uniqueness. He was tall, skinny, bone-white, black-rimmed glasses (not sunglasses), greased back black hair, and what looked to be a speedo, except that it was kind of loose, and had a zippered pocket. Picture a computer geek from the 60's and you pretty much have the idea. The little woman was definitely not so little, her bathing suit was reminiscent of a tent made from fabric decorated with large red and white flowers. It remains a mystery how her generous frame could balance on such relatively teeny tiny feet. Cute couple. Ahem.
Anyway, finally packed it in as the sun started going down, grabbed a mojito-to-go and lazed around on the balcony of my room for a bit more.
For supper, decided to check out La Adelita, the only Mexican restaurant in the whole place. Whaaat? OK, I get it that kids are going to want food they're familiar with, and there are people here from all over the world. So far, I've met people from Belgium, Romania, Montreal, Regina, Kelowna, Germany and Israel. But seriously, if you're going to go to Mexico, shouldn't you expect to get Mexican food? Off to La Adelita I go. And now, I have vowed that I will go back every night. The salad bar is to die for, includes all the Mexican salsas, real corn chips, vats of jalapenos, and queso blanco (white cheese). Best ones are the chicken/mango salad and the smoked fish and greens salad. Wow. Love their names for some things though - zucchini is pumpkin here, limes are lemons, etc.
It was fun to people-watch here, too, as there was more... individuality. Mr. Blackwell would have swooned at some of these outfits. My fave was the sundress made from pink, leopard-skin print fleece. I kid you not. Can't believe someone actually thought of this. Then someone actually thought it was a good idea to make it. Guess there's a market for just about everything, unfortunately.
Decided on the chef's specialty this evening - chicken quesadillas (on real corn soft tortillas), with a chocoalate sauce and onions on top. I know, sounds gross, but it was really good. And the rice on the side was really good - and I don't even like rice usually. Definitely worth coming back for some more of the real thing. Had to walk back to my room, but I'm still feeling a little stuffed.
New advantage to travelling alone: It's way easier to get a seat in the restaurants. There are so many large groups and only a few couples (and a single) that the smaller tables are usually available. However, it is getting slightly tiresome to always get the puzzled look when I say I'm there by myself, followed by "Why?". I really do need to try and come up with a smartass answer. Best I've come up with so far is "Why not?".
Best get some sleep, as tomorrow is a day of wearing off food. Climbing to the top of Coba, the highest Mayan pyramid at 138 feet, then snorkelling in the cenotes (sinkholes linked by underground rivers to the ocean). Bonus is trying some traditional Mayan food, seeing the message about the dawn of a new era, and checking out the flora and fauna of the jungle. Trust me, there will be pictures tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Don't get lost in the sinkholes !!
    Looking forward to the pictures !!
    -sister Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, maybe I should have switched those 2 sentences...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say a prayer for me at the top of Coba. Be safe. -Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.