Saturday, October 24, 2015

Playing tourist... and partying

The last couple of days in Bahrain seem like a blur, and all the rest that I had caught up on at the beginning of the week was spent on walking and dancing.

Friday, the first day of the weekend, we sleep in a bit, but there's so much to see, and some of it Alex wanted to see as well.  The first stop was the King Fahad Causeway, which is a series of very long bridges connecting Bahrain and a couple of small islands (one is manmade) to the mainland, Saudi Arabia.  The manmade island, about halfway between the two countries, hosts the border crossing itself, so I am able to "see" Saudi, even if I can't actually enter the country.


It's fun to see that the MacDonald's here is open 24 hrs, just like the ones at the Canada/US border.


Not much chance of getting lost, especially since we're on an island...


Next stop is the Bahrain National Museum.  One of the coolest museums I've been to.  Although it's fairly small, the large hall has an aerial photograph of the entire country as it's floor, so you can walk around the whole country, and discover what it looks like from the air.  Alex is very knowledgeable about the history of the area, which of course goes back thousands of years, and the artifacts are really interesting.  The artwork and sculptures outside the building also hold my attention, and I learn so much.  Now I really want to know more about this whole region of the world!



Footnote - Just noticed October 2015 that I never published this!  Nor did I even finish it!  Will use this as subject matter for tomorrow's blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.