Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Beach Days

A couple of days of slowdown.  Charleston appeared to be getting hit with a t-storm, so did some checking and discovered that most of FL would be getting sunshine and warmer than usual temps.  Sounds great, but no longer had the ambition required to drive down to the bottom end of the state, so a compromise, Daytona Beach, where I've never been, but have heard much about (mostly related to March break or Reading Week shenanigans and college students marauding the beaches).  This time of year seems safe enough, so a room is booked for a couple of nights.

Leaving Charleston, I realize that I didn't stop at Starbucks.  The last few trips have netted me some pretty cool Starbucks coffee mugs, and it seems appropriate to look for a Charleston one.  Unable to find one that says "Charleston" on it, like the ones I got from England and Bahrain, at least I was able to find one that was very Charleston-like - it has camelias on it!  Even better, it's 50% off in price.  Score!



The drive to Daytona takes me down the I95 for most of the way, and lo and behold, (I know this is a shock), it rains a good part of the way.  But it's not the kind of downpour I saw through VA and NC.  And somewhere halfway through Georgia, it stops, and the sun starts to appear occasionally through the clouds.  Traffic is very, well, interstate-ish.  Heavy, slow at times, constant watch required but not difficult, as most drivers appear to be quite courteous, not the kind of craziness that I'm used to on the 401.  Jacksonville is pretty busy with road construction everywhere, and then I'm in the home stretch.

Although I had booked a room at The Shores Resort and Spa in Daytona Beach Shores before leaving Charleston (actually, the night before), there was a bit of a glitch in the reservation system, and I arrive to find them scrambling to find rooms for more guests than they have places to put them.  I am asked if I could please stay at their sister property for one of the two nights that I have booked, and since it doesn't really seem like I have a choice I agree.  Not the best decision, not the best hotel, but that's part of going on an unplanned road trip - you don't always get what you expect.  Actually, it was a bit like an old, poorly maintained highway motel room, twin beds, chipped tub, an iron but no board, pretty basic.

The Shores is a 4-diamond VIP (hey, I'm on vacation, I'm worth 2 nights at a good place!) and went out of their way to compensate me, by providing a gratis dinner in the original hotel's very fine restaurant, valet parking, and the first night was on the house.  So all in all, it worked out, just last night wasn't the most pleasant surroundings.  But the room tonight is fab!

This morning I woke up early and took a long walk along the beach, had no idea it was so wide, and so soft.  The surf is pretty high, and there are signs warning of a rip current.  But the water is crazy warm and the air is already hot and humid.  A gorgeous breeze makes it lovely though, and I can't wait to get settled in the Shores in a proper room so that I can have breakfast and enjoy the sand and sea.  On my walk, I find some Tidal Treasures, and set them aside, but it seems the tide is still pretty high, so hopefully later in the day I'll find a few more.

Keeping in mind an earlier experience - Myrtle Beach many years ago - when we were warned to not step on the jellyfish that buried themselves in the sand to stay wet, I had worn my beach shoes.  Good thing, too, because I did find a couple - that I found out later were actually very poisonous, although very beautiful.


After a large, southern breakfast, I learn that my room at The Shores is ready, and I spend the rest of the day lolligagging about on the beach, enjoying the sand and surf and sun and soft warm air.  It may be a few months before I experience this again.  Can't help but think how great it would be to have my brothers and sisters and family with me so that we could splash about like we did when we were kids, swimming and running, and making sand castles and throwing frisbees and not wanting to ever go home.

But tomorrow, it will be time to start heading north again.  There has been a lot of snow and ice there in the past couple of days, so hopefully I will not have to drive through too much yucky stuff, but it will be another day or two I think before I have to worry about it.  Think I'll take a different route back.  First stop, Savannah.  I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.