Monday, December 26, 2016

Where in the world is Su the Discoverer?

One more sleep....

When my daughter was a young girl, she enjoyed a TV show called "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?"  Carmen was a young lady who traveled the world, and shared what she learned about the geography, culture and climate of each country she visited.

These days, it seems "Dora the Explorer" is a popular TV character, albeit for a younger crowd.

It seems that there is a great deal of interest in learning more about our world, at least amongst young people.

Me?  I'm just a wanderer, adventurer, discoverer.  "Just".  To some that's a big deal, because not many (I guess) are interested in stepping outside their small, comfortable world and into the world of unknown.  Why I wonder?  Is it fear?  Lack of confidence?  Or lack of curiosity?  So often I hear people say "I will live vicariously through you!"  to which I am sometimes (rarely, actually, depends on the person) tempted to say "You chicken shit!".  Because I know for some people it's fear.  They're afraid of what they don't know, and their fear overcomes their willingness to act.

A few years ago, I took a little online quiz from Career Management called "Kingdomality", and confirmed what I already knew - that my personality type is "Discoverer".  I thought it would be fun to take it again, and what do you know?  The same result.  So I guess it's true.  I'm a Discoverer.  Mostly for myself though I think, I don't anticipate finding any new stars or planets any time soon.

This next trip to New Zealand will most definitely be another journey of Discovery.  Of Exploration.  I will be visiting places that I didn't before, and with a new and more experienced perspective.  A whole different perspective.  The whole reason that I'm going is to discover and explore, and with a few more years of travel experience under my belt.

But mostly what I'm hoping to explore is a new perspective.  I'm going with a friend who has never been before, and interestingly, we weren't really close friends before we started planning for this trip.  But we've discovered (there's that word again) how similar we are, and I am so looking forward to spending time with her, and seeing the country through her eyes.  Even more than that, I've learned which way is up on a decent camera, and a little bit about how to take a half decent picture.  So I'm really hoping that I'll be able to come back with more than a couple of really good photos.  Mind you, New Zealand is probably one of the more photogenic areas of the world, and you'd have to probably really have no clue how to use a camera to not get good pictures.  But I'm looking for the stunning ones.   The ones that people say "Wow!" when they look at them.

I'm hoping to discover the inner artist in me.  I know, I know, I shouldn't have to travel to the other side of the world to find this.  But it will definitely help.  If there's no one around that I know (for the most part, except for my travel companion), then I can really feel free, no inhibitions, no expectations.

So, where in the world is Su the Discoverer?  Inside her head.  Outside her norm.  On the other side of the planet.  Behind her camera.  Looking around, up, down, behind, beside, from someone else's eyes, from below, from above.  Discovering.  Playing, Learning.  Stretching and growing.  And hopefully everyone who lives vicariously through me enjoys the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.