Sunday, January 15, 2017

Looking back.... and forward

So.  Now that I'm back in the land of flat earth.  Having left the land of Middle Earth.  As seen on the terminal at the Wellington NZ airport.


What a joy and blessing to have experienced such a fantastic adventure.  And yes, adventure it has been.  So much so, that I never really had time to capture everything that I wanted to, as I was simply too busy adventuring.  And no, I don't really care that "adventuring" is not a real word.  It should be.

Did I mention that the whole thing started off with a bang?  Or rather, a really long wait in an airport.  Followed by an even longer wait on an airplane.  Followed by a really late (or early?) arrival in San Francisco.  Followed by an unexpected and delightful day in a city that I had never been to.  Although I wasn't able to catch the Golden Gate swathed in golden hour light, I did have the chance to cross it - while not driving myself - and therefore catch a couple of shots that most other people may not get.  How cool is that?

So, to start back at the beginning, and try to share the photos that I wasn't able to share before due to poor connectivity (or no connectivity, or no time), hopefully anyone who has chosen to follow along will not get too bored with the rhetoric, but as I have mentioned, I write this only for my own memories, and share to those who may have a passing interest.  (I should note at this point however, that if you are following, please click the "follow" button, then I don't have to share the link all the time.  Also, feel free to comment.  That way it becomes more of a conversation instead of me doing all the talking.  Blah blah.)

Maybe I should also mention that I'd like to try and keep the feeling alive.  Not only keep it alive, but keep it burning.  Keep the passion.  Keep the focus.  Make the memories stay brilliant.  Use this to launch the next adventure.  Which is what I wonder?  As soon as I'm done with this, I'm going to check my lottery tickets...

So I'm on one of those Hop on Hop off bus tours of San Francisco, instead of touring Wellington NZ, making the best of it on one of the coldest days in SF for eons.  And I was trying to escape the cold by going south.  So much for that.  But there I am with my friend and traveling companion Linda on the open top of a double-decker tour bus, freezing our butts off having not dressed for winter but for SF.  Go figure.  And the bus driver starts driving right across that old iconic bridge the Golden Gate.  No idea why they called it that, anyone else know?  I did read why they left it painted orange (strictly aesthetics, it looks really cool against the foliage and landscape on the "other" side of the bridge).

The wind is blowing hard (nothing to stop it), but somehow I manage to hold on to the camera, which I'm still getting used to (only had it a couple of weeks), set the exposure, and grab a few shots here and there.  I love this one for it's asymmetry, the colours, and the perspective.  It's a little unexpected.  But the light was right and I was having a blast.  I was riding across the Golden Gate bridge for pete's sake!


OK, now off to bed.  Need to get my body back into EST.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.