Thursday, October 18, 2018

A wind is howling in New Waterford

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are starting our descent into Sydney, please make sure your table is safely stowed, and your seat back is in it's upright position".


It has been almost a year since I have traveled anywhere by plane, and now I find myself back in the same province as I was the last time, just two weeks shy of a year ago.  So much has changed in my life since then, but my friends are still my friends.

When I was "restructured" last November, my friend Ann invited me to come and stay with her and her husband Brian in Sydney, N.S. but my head was just not in the right place.  She asked me if I would take photos of their B&B, one of the many people that were pushing me in the direction that they knew was right for me, even if I didn't know.

And now, finally, I am here.  Sydney.  On the edge of the continent.  The fall colours were still vibrant as we drove from the airport to the harbour, where we had a lovely snack and a glass of wine, at the Governor's House (a restaurant and pub, not the real thing).  It used to really be the Governor's House and the waiter tells us that there is still a jail cell in the basement - but doesn't offer to show it to us.

We walk across to the harbour, where an enormous cruise ship blows it's horn, as it's final "all aboard" and starts to churn the water as it glides incredibly slowly away from the dock.  Ann and Brian assure me that we'll be able to see it go past their house when we get there, in New Waterford.  As we drive along, the fall colours really pop, Sydney is a city but there are many trees around.  I cross my fingers that the wind that has sprung up will not obliterate the colour as we have planned to hike a few trails along the Cabot Trail in the next couple of days.

It seems to take forever for the cruise ship to make it's way to the New Waterford area, and it is further out in the harbour than usual.  My hosts wonder if the ship has altered course slightly as they expecting a bad storm overnight.

A pot of salted meat is brewing on the wood stove - seriously - and we sit and enjoy a glass of wine and catch up a bit, as we haven't seen each other for a few years.  Ann tells me about her plans for the weekend, and about her family, some of whom I will have a chance to meet in the next couple of days.   We are going to Lewisburg tomorrow morning, and staying in Ingonish tomorrow night.  Supper is ready, and I'm treated to an east coast traditional meal of salt pork and potatoes, cabbage, carrots and turnip all in the same pot.  It's divine!  Oh ya, and homemade bread.  I knew I wouldn't starve this weekend, but boy, that was outstanding!



My hosts are impeccable in their service, and I feel right at home already.  It's a beautiful house, they built it new a few years ago, and as always, Ann selected the most lovely combination of colours in the decor.

After supper, Ann and I talk for a long time, catching up some more, getting to know each other better, and finally, my eyes start to feel very heavy.  Here I am in a large room, one of the B&B guest rooms, and listening to the "bad storm", the wind is howling as though it were the middle of winter, so our trek tomorrow may require the gloves, hat and extra layers I brought along.

The new hiking boots, tucked away neatly by the front door, have worked their magic once again, and I am living a new adventure that I didn't think I would have a chance to experience for a long time.

Peter Pan strikes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.