Monday, February 11, 2013

Next adventure - Lobster!!!

Ah yes, there is nothing quite as yummy as lobster - if you like it, you love it.  If you love it, you absolutely adore it when it is fresh from the sea.  Last year, I considered going on a wee jaunt to the beautiful Canadian east coast, when a friend said "no way would I go unless it was lobster season".  Which made a whole heck of a lot of sense to me.  So I just dilly dallied last year, and bided my time, after finding out that lobster season can be found around Nova Scotia in May.  Ahhhh....

Now, anyone who is frugal enough to save Air Miles for over 10 years and never use them, deserves to get some of that back.  And the first few weeks of May happen to be off-season for flying, even though it is on-season for lobster.  What a magnificent combination - free flights that only use 60% of my air miles, and fresh lobster.  Whaaattt??? 

Checked with the boss at work, checked with the cat (well, the cat-sitters anyway), and I am now in full planning mode for a Peter Pan Getaway Boots adventure to the Maritimes.  I welcome any and all suggestions for places to stay, things to do and see, food to try, so please dear readers, if you have any experience with Nova Scotia, PEI or Newfoundland that aren't already mentioned below, pass 'em on!

Here's the plan so far (I've got 10 days, 9 nights):

1. Fly to Halifax and rent a car, try to take in a day or two of Cape Breton (Cabot Trail, National Park), and south to Peggy's Cove.  I've been to Halifax itself a couple of times, so this time I want to explore the rural NS.  Eat Lobster.  And Digby scallops.  And mussels.  Did I mention lobster?

2. Drive across the new bridge to PEI - this in itself will I'm sure be an experience!  The lure of PEI is mostly the scenery, but if there's anything like a clam dig going on, that would be cool.  I guess as a Canadian, I'm obligated to check out the Anne of Green Gables house, and the beginnings of our country.  And eat more lobster.

3. Fly from Charlottetown to St. John's, NF.  Get a car, pick up my friend Sheila, and head to Gross Morn (not sure if this is spelled correctly?).  I'm not even sure what this is but I'm told I absolutely must see it.  It would be cool to see some Viking stuff if there's any around.  And go whale watching, and iceberg hunting.  Maybe eat some lobster.  If I can fit all of that into a few days, it will be a miracle.

OK, folks, bring it on.  Otherwise I'll just have to sit around and drink Screech for a few days till they pour me on a plane and send me back.

Woot!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.