Saturday, February 16, 2013

Jungle in Canada in February?

Life is funny sometimes, eh?  Like today, I was thinking about how many different journeys we are all on at the same time.  We've all got our getaway boots on every day, and just don't think about it that way.  Life is a journey, an adventure, or at least we can make it an adventure if we choose to.  Love is a journey.  Music can be an adventure, and a simple trip to the market can be an interesting side-trip if we let ourselves think of it as something other than just a simple trip to the market.

A lot of my friends are down south this week, enjoying the sun and sand and surf and beautiful warm weather while here it's cold and kind of, well,  yucky.  But it's a long weekend, and it seemed like a good day to just take a holiday and have some fun.  It wasn't snowing, in fact, the sun was shining for a good part of the day, or at least trying to shine.  It was a good day to make into a journey.

My journey called "today" started with that simple trip to the market.  I love to go to a little booth that serves locally harvested, sometimes organic food, and they make the best breakfast bagel anywhere.  They start by toasting the perfect whole-grain bagel, and with an omega-3 egg (over-medium in oil), then they fry real smoked bacon in an iron frying pan over open flame.  So far, all we've got is a fancy Western, right?  But wait, there's more.  After putting a slice of parmesan or swiss over all that, they add some organic arugula (just a few leaves so we can fake ourselves into thinking this is actually healthy), and the best aioli sauce I've ever tasted.  Are you smacking your lips?  You should be.

So now that my tummy is full so I won't buy so much food I don't need and will probably wind up throwing out because I bought way more than I can eat before it goes bad....  off I go to explore the rest of the market, and buy some good-for-me food.  Lots of organic fruits, some pea sprouts, mushrooms, spinch leaves, celery, snow peas, trying to ease the guilt-trip over breakfast.  Then I think, maybe I could make one of those breakfast bagels myself, so I get some omega-3 eggs and some real smoked bacon.  But where do I find some really good aioli sauce, and decent whole grain bagels?  Oh yeah, Vincenzo's!!!

The journey called "today" takes a new turn.  I LOVE Vincenzo's.  They have an amazing bakery (because lots of bread is oh-so-good-for-you-ha-ha), smoked Cacciacovello cheese (did I mention that here before already?), organic dairy products, a fantastic seafood department, and some really yummy home-made prepared salads.  So I load up, find some organic arugula for that breakfast bagel, along with some aioli sauce, cheese, bagels, quinoa salad, wild rice salad, grilled mushrooms, and and and and....  OK, better get this home before I buy a bunch of food I won't eat cause I bought more than I can eat before it goes bad.....

How could that bagel have worn off so quickly?  Self-control, must have self-control.  Must move about...  Ah, wait, Spanners had a 1 day, 85% off sale.  I think I have about 6 inches of closet space left.  Look out.  (Oh come on, it's an adventure day!!!)

Ok, a few outfits for work for the price of one suit, and now it MUST be lunch time.  It just has to be.  Yup!  Yayyy!!!  But I'm a good girl, and eat only the good-for-me stuff, and not too much.  Really.

It's "today", a Saturday afternoon on a long weekend in Feburary, my friends are all soaking up warmth, and it's sunny here too, just cold.  What's a girl to do?  Clean?  Oh, come on, that's no fun.  I need a jungle - something hot and humid and green and - Belgian Nursery!!!  They won't have all their greenhouses full, but they should have enough plants to let me pretend I'm in the jungle somewhere south. 

Sunglasses - check.  Running shoes - check.  (no winter boots allowed in the jungle).  Jump in the car, and halfway there it starts to snow.  Not just a little bit of snow, this is like white-out big fluffy flakes should-I-turn-around? snow.  Nope.  I'm on a mission to find a jungle. 

Oh ya, baby.  This is so nice and warm.  And green!  Tall trees and hanging plants and orchids and herbs and even a beautiful blue macaw parrot named Max.  I think it's been about three years since I've been here.  Can't be!  But it's true.  It's my favourite place, and I've been avoiding it... why?  Don't know, but it feels so good to be back.  My house has 0 plants right now, and this is just what it's been missing to make it feel like a home.  First things first, find a plant stand - there's one, looks like it's been sitting here for a few years, but with a bit of TLC should be gorgeous.  Leather shelves, wrought iron with bronze accents, scroll work, love it.  'Twill fit perfectly in the newly decorated master bedroom.

Now, what kind of plants?  Jasmine.  Love that smell.  A prayer plant, string of pearls, schefflera, snake plant, some herbs...  lots of variety.  Perfect.  Oh, and a big bowl of different colours of primula for the dining room table.

My "today" adventure is almost complete.  After setting up the plant stand (it is exactly the finishing touch that room needed), and having a bit of dinner, I'm off to a British pub with a friend to finish the the journey with a music adventure, and some joyous laughter.  What a great way to take another day-step on the life journey!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.