Saturday, May 11, 2013

Lobster - finally!

What a great day!  It started with a snuggle - with my cat, Simba.  He just knew something was going on, every time I get out the suitcase, the next day he gets a ride in the car.  So we spent about an hour bonding while I had my French Vanilla coffee.  I LOVE the first day of vacation when I can get into vacation mode that quickly!

Eventually, Simba got packed into the car with all the luggage and dropped off to play with his friend Niobe for a few days while I fly off to Halifax, NS. The flight is uneventful, quite calm skies and mostly cloudy but not too cool.  Picked up the rental car and found a compact car for Thrifty in Halifax is, ta da da da!  A punch buggy!  (No punchbacks!)  Yes, folks, it was the cutest little blue VW Beetle - the brand new model no less.  This is going to be fun, I love driving cute cars!

Turn on the radio in the car and hear the forecast for fog to roll into Halifax, and almost immediately the fog appeared.  Hmmm, hope that's not a portent of things to come!

Found the hotel, and it is gorgeous.  Built in 1866, and run mostly as a residential hotel for about 30 years, with celebrities such as Oscar Wilde having stayed here, I can't wait to find out if there are any residential ghosts.  There are antiques everywhere, including a 4-poster bed in the room, antique photographs and portraits on the walls, the doors are the original solid wood, with the most intricate detail.  I love the beauty and character of the place.

The gent at the front desk is very helpful and provides a couple of names of Irish pubs with live music, but first - explore!  Its cool, foggy and drizzly, but after sitting all day, the walk feels good.  Find some outdoor art - drunken street lights?



The Old Triangle is a quaint old Irish pub, with great cider and poutine and some fantastic local live talent.  Just two guys on guitar and bass then they pull out a fiddle and bring up another gent with a harmonica and they all start wailing on some real east coast music - just what I needed.  I LOVE local flavour!



Then it's across the street to McElvie's for some.... LOBSTER!  Finally.  Phew, I thought for awhile it would never happen.  But it's fabulous.  Thanks you, Larry Lobster, for committing harikari just for me.



The walk back to the hotel is much drier, as the fog has started to lift and it's no longer drizzly, but it's quite cool now.  Nevertheless, the camera comes in handy, and I get some great shots.  If I could just get them uploaded...

(3 days later...)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.