Thursday, January 1, 2015

Boots back on for Bahrain

Wow, can't believe it's been so long since I've logged in here.  2013?  The time has flown past, and although Peter Pan hasn't taken me anywhere exotic, the boots have been walking (hopefully not all over you).  Since the last blog, I've been to Miami Beach (fantastic trip, but only a couple of days, primarily to visit with my talented nephew who now lives in Calgary, giving me another opportunity for going out west), and Louisville, KY (in November, not the best time, plan to go back for the Derby).

Now, Jan. 1, 2015, I sit in wild anticipation of a trip to the Middle East, although not in the Hot Zone.  My friend Daya has invited me to visit her in Bahrain, and it seemed like a fantastic opportunity to visit that area of the world, relatively safely, and inexpensively to boot.  Plus, I get a bunch of added value bonuses - like getting a chance to spend time with an amazing lady that I admire and respect and who is like me in many ways and we have so much fun together! Bonus two is getting a chance for a couple of visits with another friend in London, UK, once on the way over and once on the way back.  Arindam is someone else that I admire and respect, and I cherish my friendship with him and wish we didn't always seem to have at least one ocean or continent between us.

Jan. 1, 2015.  A great day to be cleaning, packing, doing laundry, figuring out how to work the new camera (good thing I have two long flights ahead of me to do some more learning!), thinking ahead about what I want to accomplish in this calendar year, and how I will do that.  A chance for change and a refreshed look at life, even though the only thing that is different from yesterday is one number in the year and having to "write" a new date.  New year's resolutions?  No, I usually set goals, and I accomplished many last year, so now I get to start on some new ones.

2014 was a pretty good year for me.  Fortune smiled, and many wonderful things happened that I was able to take part in, witness, or reap the benefits from.  A lot of friends were not so fortunate, and for them I wish the best that life can provide for them, and a relief from some of the drama and trauma that they experienced - loss of relatives or friends, loss of jobs, relationships ending, family members in trouble, major health concerns.  Having experienced the same pain in the past, and looking at these situations from the other side, I know that everything will eventually be fine for everyone, at least for a while.  Life is full of ups and downs, and right now, I'm up, and some others are down, so I'm reaching out my hand in case anyone needs help getting up and over.  As much as I can, anyway.

Jan. 1, 2015.  The funny feeling in my gut tells me that my life is going to change - a lot - although I don't know yet exactly how, or when, or why, or in which direction.  Over time, this is just a feeling I have learned not to ignore, since it has always been right - the stronger the feeling, the bigger the change.  Sometimes, it has been a big change for someone else, but I'm pretty sure this time it's for me.  The last time it was this strong, was five years ago, when my own long-term relationship ended - quite unexpectedly.  Will this trip be the beginning of that change?  Or is it just intended to be a break for me to relax, strengthen, and prepare for another change?  Or will something happen there that will open my eyes to a new opportunity, and give me the courage to listen and accept that opportunity and change my own life on my own terms?

Peter Pan, what say you?  Let's get those boots on, and find out!  Next adventure, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.