Tuesday, January 6, 2015

On my way

Yesterday, the flight from yyz to lhr was largely uneventful.  Or was it?  Upon getting in line to check into my flight, I thought I recognized the couple in front of me.  When she turned her head a little, I was sure of it, and she confirmed with a hug that I was in line behind a woman with whom I had worked several years ago. It was great to catch up with her and her husband, who I also had worked with. 
But the evening was fantastic.  Having been unsure of what my situation would be like when I arrived in London, and whether I would even be allowed to leave the airport, K found that because my luggage had not been checked through, I needed to go through customs in order to get my bags.  Carrying a Canadian passport does have its advantages, as well as having a friend to stay with, and I was asked only how long I would be in the country.  So off I went to find my friend almost first in line to greet me, and having a cab already booked, we were on our way to Watford.

We talked late into the night, almost finishing a bottle of 2008 Rioja from Spain in the process.  And still were not able to get completely caught up.  It was wonderful to see him again, and the night was too short, but he bundled me back in a taxi this morning to catch my flight to Manama, Bahrain.
Yesterday the bulk of the flight and the view was hampered by either clouds or darkness.  Today, I hoped that I would have a chance to see a bit of Europe as we flew over, but to no avail.  More clouds, for about the first two hours.  Then, finally a break, and I could see a range of mountains below – the Alps perhaps?  My European geography was never great, and is even rustier now, so I consult the map view on my little TV.  Budapest is behind us, and we moving toward Bucharest, so no, not the Alps.  Will have to Google this.

More clouds.  Lunch arrives just in time to distract me, and is way too much food, but quite tasty.  A really interesting variety of spicy meatballs and rice, potato salad, roll with butter, cream cheese and crackers, and a dessert that seemed to be a  cross between tiramisu and black forest cake fluff.
As we fly over the Black sea (according to the little map), I realize that we flew almost directly over Constantinople, and am reminded of a children’s story, was it a Dr. Seuss book?  Something about Constantinople or Timbuktu, was it Mr. Brown can moo, can you?

Now we are 2 hours from our destination, have bypassed Ankara, and will soon be over Batman, then the next recognizable name on the map is Baghdad.  I feel as though I’m in a spy movie!  The sun is already starting to go down, but in my home time, its only 8:55 a.m.  So I have lost almost a full day by the time I arrive at my final destination.  There is snow on the mountains below, but I know when I land, it will feel quite balmy.

And soon I will see another friend, the one I have come halfway around the world to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.