Sunday, January 11, 2015

Shopping in the souq

Jan. 6 and 7

One of the things that I had read about Bahrain was that it had the oldest pearl diving business in the world.  And of course when this close to the source of gold, one really must at least check it out.  Plus, Daya loves to shop as much as I do.  So off to the souq (open market) we go.  Daya calls the driver, and he picks us up and drives us downtown.

My first impression is that it's a little bit like the 5th ave. market in Playa del Carmen, but it's much bigger.  And of course the culture and ethnic flavour differs vastly.

The shops have a variety of souvenirs from Bahrain, other GCC countries, India, Turkey, and Pakistan.  Beautiful brass coffee pots, carved wooden collapsing bowls, camels made of camel leather, pashmina shawls of various qualities, and a million different colours.  There are high quality knockoff designer purses, fabrics from all over the Middle East, designer and Arabian perfumes, sweets, electronics, spices and nuts, and of course jewellery.

The area is crowded, the streets narrow, barely wide enough for a few people, yet cars are parked along the shops, and others driving along, trying to pass.  Merchants call to us as we pass, "Madame, we have nice purses here", or "Come into my shop".  Nothing has price tags, you have to ask "how much", and the first price is always inflated, and the negotiations begin.  Even low priced items, 2 BD, usually come down to maybe 1.5.



On our first tour through the souq, I find lots of things I'd like to buy, but I don't want to spend all my money on the first day, nor do I want to fill my suitcase.  But I do find a few treasures.  In between shops, Daya tells me funny stories, she has a ton, and we laugh all day.  It's so good to be with my friend again!

But we can't find a smartwatch for her.  And the shops close from 1 - 4 pm every day, then open again till midnight.  So we go from the souq to the mall, and finish our first day of shopping at the mall, finding a few good deals there.

The next day, though, we go back to the souq, so that I can find some loose pearls, and gold earrings. Bahrain has the oldest pearl diving industry in the world, and I would love to take some pearls home and design my own jewellery.  Finally we are able to find everything we came for, and it's getting late.  As we wander about trying to find our way back to the front gate, we come across a beautifully decorated mosque.



Alex has reserved places for us at a wine tasting at the Royal Golf Club,  So we race home, grab a bite to eat, get fancy, and off we go.

The wine is amazing.  And my host is very knowledgeable about wine , since he is qualified to teach wine tasting.  For the second time in my travels, I am fortunate enough to be on the company of someone from whom I can learn about wine.  I'm sensing a trend here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.