Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Georgina GPS strikes again

Today was a good day.  For lots of reasons.  The first reason is that I finally got to meet someone that I had "met" online a while ago, someone that shares my passion for photography, understands the role the universe plays in each of our lives, and that is a beautiful "outside" soul.  We decided, after spending several hours together, that we are soul sisters, and I can't wait till we can get together again!

The second reason it was a good day is that I started accepting the loss of my friend, Simba.  He was my saviour for a few years, and a friend, and my feline soulmate.  But all good things must eventually come to an end, and today I was finally somewhat ok with that.  It was hard to say goodbye, but all endings are also beginnings, and sometimes the hardest thing to do is let go of something that is holding you back, just because it has been a source of comfort in the past.  Even if it later becomes a source of extreme stress.  The only sure thing in life is change.

Now, my life is less encumbered with responsibility than before, and at the same time less - or more accurately, differently - full.  I was able to stray and meander and not worry about time on my way home from meeting my friend.  Free to explore - as much as the waning daylight allowed.  And explore I did.  It was rush hour, so the last place I wanted to be was on a highway, and the weather, even though it's January, was holding up with no precipitation and above freezing temperatures.  So, why not?

This post is simply meant to track where I explored, so that I can go back to the same roads and see what it looks like in the daylight, and hopefully when the weather is either full of snow (instead of the mud and slush of today) or in the spring or summer.  It was an absolutely amazing drive, showcasing horse ranches, hills, winding roads, small historic towns, lovely vistas (I hope), beautiful estates, historic businesses....  and I simply can't wait till I can do the same drive again.  Here goes, best as I can remember, and with the help of my GPS, which tracks where I have driven - sometimes, and partially - for long drives.  Here goes.

From Jennifer's house, I found my way to Highway 9, heading west, and just to the west of Hwy 27 I headed south on Concession Rd. 10.  This is a gravel road, but worth every square inch of mud.  It leads to the small town of Lloydtown, which I simply have to visit again.  It appears to be a small community of really big homes, large lots, and beautiful tree-lined "streets".  Stunning. Georgina guided me to turn right on Rebellion Way, then right again on 19th Sideroad (the roads curve, probably due to the lay of the land).

From here, I turned left onto Halls Lake Side Rd., and left again to stay on that road past more huge beautiful homes on large properties overlooking high vistas.  Then left for a brief drive down Mt. Wolfe Rd., then right onto Old Church Rd.  I was supposed to stay on that road for several kilometers, but there was a detour - the road suddenly ended in a construction zone - and I had to turn left on Hwy 50, then right again on Castelderg Side Rd, then right again on Airport Rd.  When I hit a tiny community - ok it was really just an intersection with a couple of houses - just south and east of Caledon East, Georgina told me to turn left on Old Base Line Rd., a.k.a. Peel Road 12.  This is where it got pretty interesting.

Just past the Caledon Country Club, I started seeing all kinds of "no stopping" signs, not just every couple of kilometers, but every few meters.  I got the hint, you'd better not stop anywhere - but why?  And why were there tons of fences and gates and all kinds of things trying to keep people out, off to the left?  (South and east)  Between Chinguacousy Rd. and Creditview Rd. there were literally kilometers of "no stopping" signs, and the speed limit was 40-50 kph the whole way.  So slow down but don't stop.  WTH?  I needed to check this out when I got home.

It's the Cheltenham Badlands.  Who knew?  We have Badlands in Southern Ontario?  Really?  OK, this I absolutely must check out when the weather warms up and I have daylight!!!!  Not sure where to park, but hopefully those gates and fences will open up in the right season.  It's probably just dangerous this time of year. 

OK, from that point, the drive loses a bit of interest.  How can you beat Badlands that are hidden by darkness and mysterious roads that you can't stop on?  Google Satellite view is showing that there may be other hidden treasures in the area too, maybe famous people have secret hideaways lol!

Georgina tells me to turn right on Mississauga Rd., and that feels wrong, but she usually has a pretty good handle on things, so I follow along.  Good thing too, because a little ways up the road there is a beautiful old church on the left, fully lit up, and a sign announcing it as "Melville White Church".  Well, the "white church" I had figured out, but I'm going too fast to see what the whole sign said, other than that it was old.  Google says it was built in 1837 - which is pretty dang old for this part of the country.  I think I need to check this out in the daylight too!  And see if maybe there's a photo opp for a sunrise? 

Next up, the small historic town of Belfountain.  How do I not know about these beautiful little historic places?  There is so much work to be done to explore my own area of this amazing country before traveling overseas again.  And sharing the beauty of this area!  Yes, there is even a Belfountain Conservation area that is not far from another beautiful park nearby, Forks of the Credit, where one of my most popular photos was taken last summer.  I'm beginning to think this area might be worth an entire weekend come summer time.

In Belfountain, Georgina told me to turn left on Bush St. (RR 11), but next time I go up to that neck of the woods, I should check out the Google Satellite view and explore Forks of the Credit Rd., Dominion Rd., and Puckering Ln.  Possibly Escarpment Side Rd., and Caledon Magnetic Hill.  ????  Oh, wait, there's a Southridge Trail that looks interesting too!

Well, as it turns out Bush St. turns into Wellington Rd 52, which leads me out of the exploration zone and into the small town of Erin.  From here, there is little of interest - and not just because I have driven through here many a time. 

And so ends a lovely day, full of life and love and new places to explore further.  The future is bright!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.