Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 5 - already? Queenstown...

There was fresh snow on the mountaintops this morning, and the air was fresh - a typical autumn day for me weather-wise, but the locals were shivering, saying it was way too early for this cold weather. However, I had promised myself a couple of days ago that I would take my time driving back up to Queenstown, and take in the incredible view, especially north of Kingston, and this seems the perfect weather for that. The road is one of the few that I've seen that actually hugs the mountainside, with rocks on one side and Lake Wakatipu on the other. This is a main highway, yet it's made primarily of tar and chip, and is only two lanes (one on the bridges). In some places, the speed limit is 35 kph, rather than the standard 100. As you can see, it's probably warranted.

I finally arrive in Queenstown, a couple of hundred pictures later, and find myself in a place that seems somewhat European, with narrow, winding, steep streets, and "No Vacancy" signs everywhere, especially along the most scenic areas. I find a reasonable place (a hotel suite, complete with kitchen and within easy walking distance of the core, for a very reasonable rate, and what the heck, I'm on vacation, I deserve a couple of nights with a jacuzzi tub!), and book it for two nights. There is so much to explore here, so I better get going! It's already after 1 p.m.

As I drive out of Queenstown to explore the countryside, I happen across one of the little one-lane bridges that are so common here. Crossing the bridge, I notice how high up it is, and the beautiful blue water in the gorge below. The parking lot on the other side of the bridge is for one of the many jet-boat adventures I'd heard about. I walk over to the bridge and take a few shots, noting how narrow the gorge is, and yet how shallow the water. Then I realize that this is the water that the jet boats are skimming along at very high speeds. I simply must check this out after watching one do a 360 almost right beneath the bridge. http://www.shotoverjet.com/

And now that the weather has warmed up and the sun is out, it seems like the perfect time. What a blast! We scoot along at about 35-50 knots in some places, and the boats are designed to be able to stop almost as quickly as they accelerate, using impulsion (instead of propulsion) technology. We spin around inches from the rock walls, and in less than a couple of feet of water. I have a video that I'll post to Facebook but if you click the link above, and then click the video right on the home page, you'll see what it's like.

After the ride, I decide to head up to Arrowtown, a small, historic village that was recommended to me, especially for the drive. Passing signs like "Alpaca Poo $2.00/bag", I finally find the village, and it is crawling with people. Cars line both sides of every street, all the way to the edge of town. People are walking or cycling everywhere, and I decide it's not worth it to find a parking spot, but can return tomorrow. I find out later that there's a special cycling race going through there today, and the village will be empty tomorrow. One of many things to put on the list.

On the way back to Queenstown, I find a great spot to shoot "The Remarkables", a range of mountains that is exceptionally beautiful for their ruggedness. The highest peaks are over 2300 meters high. It's the darkest range in this shot.

OK, time for tea (or dinner). I check in to the hotel, and then grab my camera to explore the town itself. The walk to the town centre is short and all downhill, but I question my sanity when I look back up at where I've come from. I have to walk back again, after all. But it's worth it. Downtown Queenstown is a happening place, and if I wasn't so tired, I would consider joining one of the bar crawls. But for now, I just want to eat, then go back to my room. Uphill. As I overheard one person say, "In Queenstown, everything is uphill". Well, everything except the harbour I suppose. But that's for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. My garden would like some of that Alpaca poo!! But I can't imagine anyone else on the plane would like you to bring any home!!

    ReplyDelete

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.