Friday, March 19, 2010

Farewell Auckland

My final day here in NZ dawned warm and sunny - the best day yet for weather. Couldn't believe it, as I'm sure that in a couple of days, it won't be that nice. I finally get the full tour of Westview, and a superb lesson in wine growing and the NZ wine industry. The more I learn, the more I'm curious - I never realized there was so much involved in making wine. Westview grows grapes, which are used by other wineries to make wines. Bridget and Gary take me to each different grape and clone, and I get a chance to taste each grape, and see how close they are to the taste of the wine. The grapes are almost ready for harvest, especially the Pinot Noir.

Bridget has put together a beautiful lunch on the patio, which we enjoy thoroughly - cheddar muffins, fresh veggies, and some lovely Sauvignon Blanc that was made from their grapes.

Then I get a mini tour of a couple of other local vineyards, and try about 15 different wines - talk about a learning experience! Now I know what a Pinot Noir is supposed to taste like, a good Savvy from a not so good one, and what makes each one different.

Then it's my final goodbyes to my wonderful, generous, interesting and fun friends as I board the plane in Blenheim that will take me here to Auckland. The flight over Marlborough Sounds is absolutely beautiful, but the whole North Island is clouded over, and we arrive in Auckland in the rain. It has waited my entire time here to get yucky, so it will be easy to sleep on my way to Vancouver. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.