Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Finally here!

I arrived in Auckland this morning before it was light out, so my first impression of this island country was of a lighted runway only. But it wasn't long before the sun came up, and I started the final leg of my journey to Blenheim in a small Q300. At first, it seemed there was nothing out of the ordinary. What I saw was mostly farmland, cattle grazing and the end-of-the-season barren fields. But it wasn't long before the view, even from 20,000 ft, was spectacular. These rivers of clouds filled in the deep impressions between the hills, and the early morning sun accentuated the landscape.








Flying along the west coast of the North Island showed increasingly high hills, but it was difficult to gauge the height of the hills until we approached the south island. The cloud cover had still not dissipated, and my first glimpse of the south island were these fabulous cliffs that dropped directly into the ocean.









Getting off the plane, the first thing I noticed was that there were hills all around, and driving along the "highway" to the home of my hosts, besides the hills (I thought they were mountains), were palm trees and logging trucks. And vineyards, everywhere. Being in the middle of the Marlborough region, which is quickly becoming known worldwide for it's wonderful Sauvignon Blanc wines, is an experience like none other. Huge expanses of grape vines, surrounded by these huge hills and palm trees.
When we reached the home of my friends, with whom I'll be staying for a couple of days, I was quite impressed with the view from their patio.
Later, while dining on lamb and sipping some lovely wine on the same patio, we watched the sun dance across the top of the hills, sending rays of light skyward from behind the trees and vines and hills as it sank to it's bed. Sitting here in my shorts and t-shirt and hearing nothing but a light breeze and the ducks splashing about on the pond, I know that I've made the right choice for vacation. It's beautiful and peaceful here.

2 comments:

  1. Shorts and t-shirt on the patio with wine and lamb? Lucky girl! You're also a very good writer and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Su - it's going to be so much fun to follow you around New Zealand - I hope you have time to write all about it.
    Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.