Sunday, March 17, 2024

NZ2024 - Leg 21, March 16 - Kaikoura to Blenheim

 Today we could sleep in a little bit later, the train arrived in Kaikoura at 9:55 a.m. - and left at 10:00.  We wouldn't have much of a window to "check in", although we didn't really need much time.  I had reserved the town taxi to pick us up at 9:30, and we were packed and ready to go in plenty of time to wait out at the road.  The storm from last evening had passed, the sea was calm again, the sun was shining, the air was crisp but not really cold, and there was snow on the mountains that hadn't been there the day before.  A gorgeous morning!  

  

We took a few moments to take a few photos of the surroundings, to remember our stay here.  I took the key back to the office to check out, and was offered a ride to the station, which I at first declined, thinking we would be getting the taxi.  9:30 came, and went.  No taxi.  No sign of a taxi.  Time was getting pretty short, so I went back up to the office, and asked if we could pay for a ride, that the taxi didn't seem to be appearing, and of course we couldn't pay!  But they would absolutely be happy to give us a ride.  

We made it to the railway station, tried to pay our host, and it was refused.  We went into the station, but the only thing we could find was the Whale Watch tour, so we went outside again, only to find a sign that indicated there was no real railway staff there, the train porter would take our tickets and provide our boarding pass.  Phew!  Only a moment or two later the train rolled in, and we went up to the front to drop our bags and get our boarding pass.  We got on the train and as soon as we found our seats - which apparently were already occupied, I noticed that my little bag where I kept my passport and credit cards and cash was missing.  Oh no!!!!

Linda watched my backpack and camera, and I went running - against the flow of people traffic coming onto the train.  I ran faster than I've run for years, trying to find the train staff, to ask them to please wait until I had found my bag, and I must have appeared panicked - I was!  It had been on my shoulder, and then it was just gone.  It had my life in it!  Please wait!  The porter who had provided our boarding pass lifted her hand and said "Do you mean this one?" and produced my bag!  I'm sure she was quite surprised when a complete stranger hugged her furiously!  I was sooooo grateful that someone had found it and handed it in.

So here's the funny part - I had tried to hand our host from the hotel a $20 bill for his time and gas to bring us to the station - especially after picking us up when we arrived yesterday.  When he refused it, I put it in my pocket, but in the running rush, it must have fallen out.  When I got back to my seat, it was no longer in my pocket.  I sincerely hope that whoever found my bag and handed it in - or perhaps the porter herself - found that $20.  They deserve it.

The rest of the ride was uneventful, but I was quite winded from the run from one end of the long platform to the other, so I took a few moments to simply breathe, and enjoy the scenery of the ocean on one side and the snowy mountains on the other.  Once I was calm again, and cooled off (the carriage was realllllly warm from the morning sun streaming through those windows that go all the way to the roof until the fans kicked in), and of course the view of the ocean had tapered off in the distance, we went to the dining car for a coffee and breakfast.  The food was very good all things considered, and I could even get a flat white - something we had discovered on the TransAlpine run.  We took our time eating and having our coffee, and enjoying the scenery that was rushing past us.  

  


We had started seeing vineyards on either side, so knew we were getting close to the Marlborough region, and Blenheim, our final stop.  The train would go on to Picton, but we were meeting our friend Bridget to stay with her for a couple of days and nights.  Bridget was the reason I had come to NZ the first time, in 2010, and we had stayed in touch over the years, having clicked right from when we met a few years before that.

We rolled into Blenheim a few minutes early, which gave us a chance to use the loo before Bridget arrived to pick us up.  The air was fresh but warm in the sun, and I gave myself the chance to fully let go of the scare of losing my bag.  And then Bridget was there, and we were hugging and excited to see her and all was right with the world.  

She had planned a lovely afternoon for us, and we were so looking forward to just catching up and hearing all about her recent and very exciting trip, as it had been a few years since we'd seen each other.  But first, she took us to her beautiful home in a very nice neighbourhood in Blenheim, showed us around, got us settled, and then we had a lovely lunch of quiche and salad.  Bridget's a wonderful cook, and like all food we've had till now, it was fresh and delicious.  

Recognizing that we would need a bit of a break - but also some fresh air - Bridget took us for a walk around a local lagoon.  There were black swans and many other birds around, and it was absolutely delightful to have a nice walk in the sun and fresh air, and just relax.  

  

  


We didn't have to be anywhere for a while, but there were plans in the works for a social hour at a local brew pub.  


We met some local folks and had some bubbly to celebrate our friendship, had a wonderful conversation with a couple of ladies that were true locals (apparently you can only call yourself a local if you have at least three generations having lived there), and then came back to Bridget's for some homemade lasagna.  It was fantastic.

But we were definitely ready for bed by that point.  Tomorrow would be another busy day - wine tastings and a movie night!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that comments on this site will be moderated to avoid misuse of this space for inappropriate purposes.